Re: Editorial Judgement (was CENSORSHIP on WBZ RADIO)

>I also heard Butch's call and did not think he was pushing the envelope all
>that much.  I would not have cut him off and I can understand why Lobel was
>upset about management interfering with his show

It wasn't Lobel's show, in that he didn't own it.  His boss was PAYING him
to do the show.  The person who pays you is the boss, and as such, wields
the power to dictate how the show will be handled.
A good employee - a company man - would do what the boss said, but discuss
that decision with the boss off the air.  And if no agreement could be made,
the host could find other work.  And certainly, the boss can do what he
pleases.  Remember..if you work for someone, you are doing so at his or her
pleasure..not yours.

Censorship?  If you work on my station (if I had one), and if I were against
profanity, then either you agreed to keep it out of "your show", or work for
someone else.  Maybe Lobel became jaded after all those years, and felt he
was irreplaceable.  Lots of talk hosts and disk jockeys believe they are in
for life (yes, I've been there too). But they wake up to reality later on.

Right or wrong, the boss issues your paycheck.  We can always disagree on
the boss, but we must do so in a way that is nonoffensive, and certainly,
not disobey an order on-air, where once the words have been spoken on the
air, they can't be taken back.  In this case, the boss gave the employee a
way to keep everything cool.  The employee in effect flipped the boss the
bird.

(shel)