Re: Woo Woo Update/WLOE

Shel asked--

>OH...Wasn't WMEX once called WLOE, and was it not a classical format?  And
>what did WLOE stand for, if anything?  WMEX stood for M(AX)
>Richmond...likely WMAX was not available at the time.

WMEX did not stand for anything as far as I know-- it was assigned by the
FCC as an available call in 1934, but legends have sprung up around it, as
they have about WSAR ("We Sell Advertising Results").  WLOE was indeed the
ancestor of WMEX, started in Chelsea in 1927 as WRSC (Radio Shop of
Chelsea) by Bill Pote and then he got backing from the Loew's Theatre to
become WLOE.  The long and fascinating story of WLOE is better told
elsewhere, but the FRC deleted it in 1933, whereupon Bill and his brother
Al got new backers and created WMEX in 1934.