Re: Arnie Ginsburg

On Sun, 12 Jul 1998, Donna Halper wrote:

> It was not in June of 1957 either-- the Richmonds officially purchased WMEX
> in mid June of '57, but they didn't make staff changes right away.  My
> recollection is that Arnie was still on WBOS into early 1958...  perhaps
> Shel has some exact dates on this, but Arnie absolutely did not join Wimmex
> for at least a few months after the ownership change.

Is it possible that the Richmonds started running WMEX before they
officially purchased the station?  I know that's common now.  The reason I
ask is that WMEX was already the "New WMEX" the first time that I heard
the station.  Now, I know that I didn't find WMEX right away after we
moved back to the Boston area.  The newspaper my parents bought was the
Traveler, and it didn't list WMEX in the radio listings.  So it took
awhile for me to know that it existed.  But at some time fairly soon after
we moved, I started to listen to station after station, from one end of
the band to the other, making a list of what was there.

This was complicated, by the way, by the fact that I sometimes did my
band-surveying in the daytime and sometimes at night.  And I didn't know
about daytime-only stations yet.  Which means that the first time through,
I missed some daytimers.  And when I got to the "graveyard" channels at
the high end of the band, I found it very chaotic.  Since I started to
hear of the existence of stations that I hadn't picked up the first time,
I went through the band again.  That was when I picked up stations like
WTAO and WBMS (now WJIB and WILD).

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                      lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                       http://world.std.com/~lawyer/