Re: Urban Radio in Boston

In a message dated 98-07-04 07:34:09 EDT, steve5@tiac.net writes:

<< You mean, minorities don't listen to WKLB (I think he meant WXKS), and non-
minorities don't listen to WJMN?? >>

No, I'm not saying that. Radio is a mass medium and you have to bring in as
many listeners as you can.  In recent years radio has become fragmented and
specialized, with stations targeting specific audiences.  As with any mass
medium, radio stations will have listenership outside of the target, so
yes--some young black people are listening to Kiss and some older white folks
are listening to WJMN.  But, as we all know, radio is a business.  These
stations are promising to deliver a certain audience to advertisers, so their
programming is targeted that way.  If anyone else outside of the target is
listening, great--it helps build cume.

Mike Thomas, WXLO & Premiere Radio Networks