Re: WRKO thoughts on the 4rth Wknd.

  I think that everybody at WRKO did a good job playing the top 68 hits "as
voted by the listeners" on a radio station, from a hard disk. However, I
don't think that the intent of the programming was to re-create the Top 40
format, which is a testament to the quality of the original Top 40 format -
that there wasn't even an attempt to sound like it. NOTHING could ever come
close to the sound of WRKO in its heyday. Definitely, Arnie Ginsburg was the
best announcer, and I was very happy to hear his voice on the radio,
especially after the "Night Train" theme at midnight on the first day. Joe
and Andy sounded good, as did Parenteau. I don't know why WRKO even bothered
with having Howie Carr announce - he ended up insulting most of the songs he
introduced.
  I was disappointed that "20/20 News" was not brought back for the weekend,
and I was upset by (again) the use of only one jingle. As for the music, I
was QUITE surprised. I did not hear songs I expected would make the list,
and heard some songs for the first time. "Georgia On My Mind"? A good song,
but I never thought that people would request it! Keep in mind, however,
that probably less than 68 people even voted!
  For next year, I wish that WRKO would use more jingles, have LIVE disc
jockeys, and disallow Howie Carr to step within five hundred yards of a
microphone. All in all, "Big 68" was fun to listen to for what it was meant
to be, but if Straley and the other folks at WRKO wanted to replicate the
Top 40 format, they failed miserably.

                                                               - Keith Barry
                                                               kbarry@geocit
ies.com

P.S. "WRKO Shortwave" is offering QSLs. Just send a reception report to
wrkosw@hotmail.com, along with a postal address. Hmmmmm...