Re: WRKO thoughts on the 4rth Wknd.

At 05:16 PM 7/5/98 -0500, BUMP MARTIN wrote:

>First the presentation seems much better than last years losely
>programmed efforts.
>
>Are they rotating talk hosts?  This break Howie...next break Darlene and
>Jeff, Etc?  Does this make any sense?

>Unlike what Shel heard....From my understanding no one was contacted
>from the old staff, not Harry Nelson, not Mike Addams, not Dale, not JJ.
>..they really weren't interested in involving the original personalities
>.  (I don't think it was a contractual issue, as most stations would
>probably have allowed their talent to appear on 'RKO for that one day...
>seeing it as publicity.)

I heard bits & pieces of it, didn't think they did a bad job.  No, they
didn't sound like the old WRKO jocks, but these people (Arnie excepted) are
TALK hosts, a whole different discipline (I wonder how good of a job
<insert name of your favorite music jock here> would have done hosting a
talk show).  Their segments were also pre-recorded, which is more difficult
to pull off than it sounds (just ask anyone who's gone to work for a
voicetracked station...it takes practice to sound "live").  As far as
dredging up old 'RKO alumni, I don't think that was the point of
it...Howie, The Chicks, etc are familiar voices to present-day WRKO
listeners...don't assume that WRKO's present audience even cares about
someone who was a Top 40 dj at that station 25 years ago.

I, too wondered where they got this top 68 survey, though.  It certainly
wasn't anything from the old Top 40 days, there were quite a few songs that
weren't hits until 'RKO was a talk station (Money For Nothing, Kiss,
Rapture to name 3 that I heard).

All in all, it was a nice change of pace.