Re: weather at 4

Donna writes:  >I still think it was a mistake to separate Jack and Liz--
they had really
>good chemistry, but were probably attracting (gasp) an older demographic.
>Jack is one of the industry's nice guys, from what everybody tells me and
>from my own meetings with him.  <snip>

Listening last night to Jack filling for Brudnoy on BZ radio, he articulated
his concern for the state of TV news.  Paraphrasing Jack, he asked, "When
the big one hits or there is a big hurricane coming, who will you feel safe
with bringing the story to you?"  My immediate gut reaction was "Jack!"  We
often wax nostalgic for newscasters of yore who had the 'benefit' of
breaking world events to glue us to the TV.  If and when the droppings hit
the rotary oscillator, Brian Mooney won't be my first choice.  In fact, one
thinks he'd be hiding under something, anyway.

As for Bruce S., not just saying nice things because he may be reading this,
he not only predicts responsibly, but handles tough weather events better
than anyone, IMO.  Aside from his use of the word "dismal" to describe gray
weather, (the truth does hurt - but one of my pet peeves) Bruce seems to
keep weather in perspective with the big scheme of things, that we _will_
see tomorrow after this one, don't stop your nursing just yet, in not so
many words.

I did like M. Collins' review of male anchors in Boston today.  It was
refreshing to read some positives.  Made me take a closer look at Anthony
Everett, however, "network" caliber may be a bit generous, at least at this
point.  She did opine that Jack Williams works best "alone" and who can
disagree.  Sundays with Jack are superior.  No silly tosses, one less camera
angle, more straight reads with fewer taped wraps.  He reads well, genuinely
relates the guts of the story and has some of the best pipes in the biz.  As
for his stint hosting Brudnoy, his isolated opportunities tend to result in
big guests with whom he is less than probative (Spkr. 'Finnernan' (sic),
Mayor Mennino).  He does disclaimor that his
"anchor" role makes it tough for him to blatantly be opinionated or
partisan.  If he were to have an extended talk opportunity/career shift,
perhaps the best would be to come in that respect.

Bill O'Neill