Re: NESN's future...

On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Mark Shneyder wrote:

> As far as WABU's loss of Judge Judy goes, the station did not just let
> the option lapse. It was simply outbid by deeper pockets of Viacom's
> UPN38. This is just the nature of the business. Shows move from station to
> station all the time for one simple reason : money.

  WABU however did have the right to match the UPN bid....

  I don't know what WABU's rate card looks like, but even for Judge Judy
they have been running a lot of inhouse promos for a show that has ranked
as high as third in the market at 6. Same applies to the Red Sox...you
can't tell me that this 1998 team with "decent" ratings can't sell all the
available time. One thing I'm certain off, WABU does nothing by accident.

> I, and I'm not the only one, do agree with her on one thing -- Ch.4's new
> morning show is...well...a total disaster. Believe me, second year
> communication students produce better studio shows than what you see on 4
> every morning. Having alternative(to 'CVB and 'HDH) format show is an
> excellent concept but it will not go anywhere if there isnt some amount of
> creativity attached to the product.

  As bad as the local show is...I would still rather watch Scott and
Suzanne over what CBS calls IT'S morning show. CBS hasn't done mornings
right since Captain Kangaroo.