Re: CBA

>I've always found it interesting that Canada has some call letter sets of
5.
>Now, I'm trying to figure out the Australian call letter system....if
indeed
>there is a system. Sometomes, I listen to an Australian Top-40 station on
>the Web.
>
>There was one station back in the 1970s taht used calls similar to the
>Australians.....not for the legal ID of course, but otherwise, they used
>"W4."  Imagine having to sa "WWWW" every break!  At least, those who know
>how to pronounce double-you would have a problem.
>
>shel

Australia has a very neat way of setting up calls.  (Was your example
"4WWW"?  A number preceeds two letters for AM and preceeds three letters for
FM (in most cases.)  The leading number is dependant upon the state/province
(brain cramping on which).  For instance, New South Wales, home of Sydney
where me sis lives, leads all calls with "2".  2JJ Sydney (AM)  2JJJ Sydney
(FM sister station) called Triple J.  2DAY Sydney is, you guessed it, "Today
FM".  Lots on the net about it.  That way you get the city of license or at
least the general location of one of six regions on the continent.  Not sure
if NZ does the same thing.
Bill O'Neill