No Subject

Well, almost everything -- we kept driving north, passing the four
towers of CIQC (600) and pulling into the Kahnawake Indian reservation
for a look at CKRK (103.7), the very professional-sounding station
that serves the South Shore and West Island as "K103" or "The Monster
on the Seaway," or "103 dot 7", or, sometimes, "Mohawk Radio."  We saw
the tower next to the reservation's sports center, but couldn't find
the studios, and went back into the city to see some studios.

Those included the Tele-Quebec facility on rue Fullum; the huge Maison
Radio-Canada on blvd. Rene-Levesque (alas, we weren't able to get a tour)
that is the headquarters for the CBC's French-language radio and TV
operations; the TVA headquarters on ave. de Maisonneuve, and the
CFCF/Quatre-Saisons monolith on ave. Ogilvy.  We also took the mandatory
drive up Mount Royal to see the massive antenna covered with TV and FM
bays that's home to nearly every station in town.  If the weather had
been better, we'd have walked up to get a closer look, but
unfortunately the rain kept us away.

Then it was time for lunch and the drive out of town, this time
heading north and west towards the CKAC (730) two-tower array in
Pointe-Calumet and the other native station in the Montreal area, CKHQ
(101.7) in Kahnesetake.  Unfortunately, CKHQ wasn't on the air, and on
101.7 we heard WCVT in Stowe, Vermont and CJSO in Sorel instead.  The
GPS led us to a house that was supposed to be the CKHQ transmitter
site, but it sure didn't look like much, so we pressed on towards
Hawkesbury.

Crossing the river, we tuned into a nifty little two-province
simulcast, CJLA (104.9) Lachute, Quebec and CHPR (102.1) Hawkesbury,
Ontario.  The CHPR transmitter appears to be on one of the stubs from
the old CHPR(AM) on 1110 south of town.   At Garrett's insistence
("We've gotta see what this looks like!), we also turned off Highway
34 to see CICO-TV-96 (Channel 48) and CHLF-TV-2 (Channel 39), which
both rebroadcast TVOntario programming, the former in English and the
latter in French, a rarity since most viewers get TVO's French service
only on cable.  That's changing, apparently, as TVO puts up more
French transmitters in Francophone areas of the province.