Re: The ABC/FM Network

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, BUMP MARTIN wrote:

> I've never heard ABC contemporary news aired, nor FM news aired, nor CBS
> Radioradio, or NBC's The Source.  Is Unistar still offerring newscasts?
> Does anyone clear them?

Probably not; any local station with available inventory is likely
just clearing the spots for a bit of extra cash.

The other night I was listening to WEVD in New York (1050AM) which is
pretty much a dumping ground for any talk show the networks can't
otherwise get cleared, like the audio portion of Larry King Live (TV
audio sucks on radio.)  They must be paid hansomely for the "privilege"
of running such quality programming.  But it beats Danny Stiles' five
minute commercials for Italian restaurants in New Jersey.

Radio networks weren't always like this, of course.  To name but one
example, when NBC owned it The Source was a treasure trove of news and
features; it was absolutely the finest effort ever at targeting a
young adult audience with this sort of programming.  But NBC Radio was
losing a reported $10 million a year when they sold out to Norm Pattiz
and his merry hatchet men at Westwood One--and this was many years
after NIS and Monitor.  Something clearly had to give.

> Most stations opt to run the spots *without* the programming.

Or, better yet, they go without network affiliation altogether and
pocket the added revenue from selling another local or agency spot!

Take care,

Chris