Re: The ABC/FM Network

> > I guess the ABC Radio Network was becoming nothing more than a ad
> > distribution outlet. The newscasts were an afterthought.
>
> And so it is for the vast majority of radio networks.

Well said!  Basically networks exist to sell ads.  And the programming
was something to induce the affilliates to run the spots.

When polling potential affiliates...asking them what they would like in
return for running spots...most local (i.e. small) affilliates say "News
!  Give us news to run on weekends and nights!"

Most stations have no use for the longer form programs that are offerred
.

That is why most of the big markets the networks OWNED their stations so
they could assure clearance.  And most O & O's formatted their local
stations to be conducive to clearing those spots.  (i.e. news & talk)

I've never heard ABC contemporary news aired, nor FM news aired, nor CBS
Radioradio, or NBC's The Source.  Is Unistar still offerring newscasts?
Does anyone clear them?

Most stations opt to run the spots *without* the programming.

BM