Great way to handle unwanted phone calls

A colleague related this story to me today. (He's a real smart guy with a
PhD; he also thinks fast on his feet, but he has never, ever worked in
radio.) It was around 7:00 PM Tuesday and he was busily working at home on
an overdue assignment for work. Phone rings. He doesn't like the
interruption but picks up the phone, almost positive that it's somebody
trying to sell him something.

My friend: Hello?

Caller: Mr <mispronounces my friend's name>?

F: Speak up; you're on the air _live_ on Oldies 103 in Chicago

C: {Covers mouthpiece, calls to someone in the house in kind of a loud
whisper} I must have misdialed, I'm on the radio--on a station in... Chicago!

F: Speak up. You're on the air. Do you have a request?

C: Err--no. I just...

F: Well then, tell the audience the name of your favorite radio station.

C: OLDIES 103--FM!

F: Thanks for calling and have a good night! <Click>

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205