Re: The 200 Boston (?) Conventions and Minimal TV.

This isn't about television ratings or the promotion of the city of Boston,
this is about money: About $150 million of it according to pretty liberal
estimates, that will be brought into the area's economy. My question is why
are we spending $35 million dollars with a crap-shoot chance in hell to get at
that $150 million? The bigger cities like Los Angeles and Philadelphia are in
key states the Dems must win in 2000 whereas Massachusetts very rarely votes
GOP so it isn't a wise decision to randomly pump that money into a state that
will already vote with you. That is just the dynamics of the political
situation. Then you have the whole VP Gore not wanting to give our Senator
John Forbes Kerry-Heinz, who is consider a 2000 run, a home turf advantage.
Personally, I think it would be cool to have the convention here, but with the
Big Dig and all the other expansion and development, 2004 is much more
feasible. So let's be bluntly honest: There are a lot better ways to spend $35
million! Now, when will Fenway host the All Star game?

In a message dated 6/23/98 12:55:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time,