Re: NH TV News

On 23 Jun 98 at 18:37, Ed Brouder wrote:

> The big question will be what Channel 50 defines as its news market
> area.
>  Since about half its viewers are in northern Mass, those folks
>  aren't
> going to care about watching NH news.  Or vice versa.  Perhaps they
> plan to carve out a niche of Essex County that the Boston stations
> give only lip service to, and that WMUR ignores entirely.  If that
> is the case, I don't see how 50 can be a direct competitor to 9.

   How about channel 50 covering the northern seacoast area!
Considering channel 9 only seems to think New Hampshire is
Manchester, Nashua, Salem, Concord and the Lakes Region. You may
occasionally see a big story from the Portsmouth, Dover, Rochester
area. If it's*real* big maybe, just maybe Southern York County, an
important part of the Seacoast! I usually end up watching channel 6
WCSH Portland/NBC or 13 WGME Portland/CBS just to get news for my
area! Boston television stations do better Seacoast coverage then
channel 9 does! It's amazing to think with the technology channel 9
has, they have the absolute worst newscast of any station I have
ever seen! WMTW channel 8/ABC (who has come a long way), blows their
doors in.
   When it comes to full service news, I don't think channel 50 has
much to worry about as far as compitition is concerned. Granted
channel 50 can't be picked up over the air on the seacoast, but most
of us have cable, and are willing to push the up key on the remote
control a few more times, if we know there is a station interested in
*LOCAL* Seacoast coverage!

Take Care,

Roy Lawrence

Who feels the Seacoast has been underserved from television long
enough!