Re: WCOP/1150

     WCOP/1150 didn't join the Country Bandwagon until 1968, after
WMEX and WRKO got the "Lion's Share" of the Rock and Roll pie.  Toward
the end, WCOP was stuck between and Rock and a Middle-of-the Road
place.  I remember hearing "Bernadette" by The Four Tops in the spring
of 1967 on WCOP/1150.  I think with WRKO doing the clobbering of WMEX
from early on out, they decided to take a different route.
(Yeee-haaaaa!!)  They hit their niche for the next 9 years with
Country music.

               (Jingle, if you please...)
  "Radio Boston....W-C-O-P.....One, One, Five-Ohhhh"

     The FM (100.7) simulcasted with the AM about 50% of the time
until 1972.  BTW: WCOP-FM was one of Boston's FIRST FM Stereo stations
in 1962 with "Your Heritage of Great Music", a pre-recorded Classical
format (a format that was very common with most other FM stations at
the time).
     On another note, Joe, the "John Masters" you saw listed in a 1966
Boston Globe radio page was the same man that became the "signature
voice" of W-R-K-OOhhh, "20/20 News".

- ---PUBLICREF1 <Norwood@mln.lib.ma.us> wrote:

> I have a radio listings page from a Boston Sunday Globe TV WEEK from
>  1966, which lists a "John Masters" on WCOP-1150 weekdays from 12
>  Noon to 3 P.m. (this was just after they became the NBC radio
affiliate
> for Boston).
>
> I had always been under the illusion that WCOP flipped to country
around
> 1965, so this might mean that John Masters--if it's the same John
>  Masters who would spend years at WRKO--was a country DJ.
>
> Or was WCOP not yet country in 1966?
>
> Anyone who can answer these questions is invited to post the answers
>  so I can see them.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Joseph Gallant
>
> <notquite@hotmail.com>