Re: job question

>The blind couple (husband and wife) I've mentioned on this list before
(they
>are big fans of LTAR and collect airchecks of Boston radio announcers from
>the 50s, 60s, or whatever else anyone wants to donate) are looking for
work.
>Both are educated, very independent, articulate, nice folks who just happen
>to be blind, and all they get offered is menial tasks at workshops for
blind
>people.  They want to do more than that, and I am trying to help.  They
live
>in Watertown but can get anyplace with The Ride or public transportation.
>Any of you Boston-area list members have any ideas as to where I could send
>them or who I could call on their behalf?  They are learning the computer
>now, and are very eager to be trained for almost anything, if somebody will
>just give them a chance...  Ideas? Suggestions?

How about the Talking Info. Center as an angle?  I know they are based out
of Lowell with growing affils., and sight is necessary to read publications
over the air, but perhaps braille/transferred pieces that could be read
aloud to others who are blind.  (An idea I have pondered for some time,
given my line of work.)  This would be a non-paid position (to my
understanding) but could be a good jumpstart to something 'unconventional'
for blind folks who are articulate, as you describe.  (Don't forget Muck
with Glick all of those years on WBZ then on his own show on WEEI!)

Let me know if I can push such an idea further.  Would be glad to help.

Bill O'Neill