Re: Costa / Haverhill Gazette / WCCM

- -------- REPLY, Original message follows --------

> Date: Tuesday, 16-Jun-98 11:35 AM
>
> From: Marc Lemay               \ Internet:    (times@massachusetts.com
)
> To:   Bolduc, John             \ Internet:    (john_bolduc@pictel.com)
> cc:   boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org \ Internet:
> (boston-radio-interest@bostonradi)
>
> Subject: Re: Costa / Haverhill Gazette / WCCM
>
> John Bolduc wrote:
> >
> > Greetings
> >
> > I heard on a WCCM 800 Lawrence MA newscast last evening that the
Costa
> > owned Haverhill (MA) Gazette is going from a daily newspaper to a
weekly
> > newspaper next week. It was recommended that current subscribers
accept a
> > subscription to the Eagle Tribune in it's place. I know Costa owns
a/some
> > radio stations in the area. Does this follow the plan that was
discussed
> > somewhat this past autumn on this list. I think WCCM is one of the
Costa
> > stations??
> >
> > John
>
> I knew that Pat Costa owned WHAV, WCCM and WNNW, but I didn't know he
also
> owned the
> Gazette???  When did this happen?  Secondly, I thought he was in
partnership
> with the
> Eagle Tribune (hence Costa/Eagle Communications)?

Actually I think it's the other way around....

The Eagle-Tribune *owns* Costa....!   :-)  <g!>

The Eagle-Tribune (aka Rogers family) is the cash behind his "Costa-
Eagle Communications".

I believe it's part of the Tribune's strategy to scoff up and 'lock-up'
all of the Spanish advertising revenue in the area....since the Tribune
has never really reached the spanish communities.

So now the Eagle-Tribune can pick up more advertising revenue from the
Haverill area....both in English and Spanish!

So, in the end, I don't know how much English programming that they will
do with WNNW-WCCM-WHAV...since it would be thought that any English
advertising would be $$ that would normally go to the Tribune.

They CAN'T keep *all* of them Spanish can they?