Re: Costa / Haverhill Gazette / WCCM

At 10:32 AM 6/16/98 -0400, John Bolduc wrote:
>Greetings
>
>I heard on a WCCM 800 Lawrence MA newscast last evening that the Costa
>owned Haverhill (MA) Gazette is going from a daily newspaper to a weekly
>newspaper next week. It was recommended that current subscribers accept a
>subscription to the Eagle Tribune in it's place. I know Costa owns a/some
>radio stations in the area. Does this follow the plan that was discussed
>somewhat this past autumn on this list. I think WCCM is one of the Costa
>stations??
>
>John

Costa owns the Haverhill Gazette???  I thought it was purchassed by yhe
Eagle-Tribune Publishing Company recently, I don't think Costa has anyting
to do with that.

It is obvious that this puchase was made so that the E-T  could eliminate
it's daily competition in Haverhill.  What effect this will have on the
radio stations jointly owned by Costa and E-T Publishing I don't know, but
I doubt it will effect things much one way or the other.

Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH