Re: Bruins

Whether hoops is more popular than hockey in Maine is debatable. :) Maybe Celtics
hoops (the Celts toured Maine in the preseason in the 60s), but in general,
probably not.

Besides fighting with the Pirates' broadcasts, there's also the fact that hockey
is not a great radio sport without an excellent play-by-play man or a deep
knowledge of the sport to fill in the blanks. The late Dan Kelly on KMOX, for
example, could get listeners in a market that wasn't hockey-crazed.

BTW.... who was the first play-by-play man of the Maine Mariners? Mike Emerick,
who moved on to TV for the Flyers, Devils and Fox. One of the best -- and I
thought he was better on radio than TV. (Ditto Dave Strader, who did radio PBP for
the Adirondack Red Wings before moving on to Detroit TV and ESPN.)

Dib9@aol.com wrote:

> The Bruins have traditionally had a weak radio network in Maine.  I think
> there are two principle reasons for that:
>
> 1.  Hockey is much less popular than football, basketball & baseball.  (Please
> no flames from hocket fans.)
> 2.  The minor league Portland Pirates (and before that the Maine Mariners)
> have always had a strong radio network in Maine, which cuts down on the number
> of possible affiliates.  I think stations take the Pirates over the Bruins
> because of the local ties.
>
> In southern Maine, I think 1440 WJAE Westbrook/Portland was the only Bruins
> station this year and they preempted them if the Celtics were playing.

- --
Douglas J. Broda
Broda and Burnett
Attorneys at Law