Re: Re: Boston's Newsradio Void

I have been reading the thread on Boston newsradio with interest. As a
consumer of radio and broadcaster (like all of us),I'm not sure those
who lament the death of what they deem to be sufficient news coverage
see the bigger picture. Those of us responsible for making a payroll
every (other) week knows that sometimes the investment is not worth the
minute gain in the product. To keep a fully staffed newsroom 24/7/365
would require at least $150,000 dollars a year-an investment most
smaller stations are unable to make,and most larger stations unwilling
to make given that by our own admission,MAYBE something big enough
happens 3-5 times a year to break format and cover it. That 150k would
look better (to corporate bean-counters)  on the bottom line or it  may
be the difference between people getting paid and not getting paid at a
smaller operation. Like or not,folks-it's progress. Combine this with
the idea that most people don't care -where- the news comes from...if
it's not available where they're listening/viewing/reading-they'll surf
until they do. Don't get me wrong,I love radio,and I times I too am
dismayed at where it's heading. But I don't think anyone can stop it at
this point. I hope in 10 years I can look back and say I was wrong.

Eric