Re: Re: Re: Boston's Newsradio Void

On Mon, July 15, Eric Jacobs wrote:
>I'm not sure those who lament the death of what they deem to
>be sufficient news coverage see the bigger picture. Those of
>us responsible for making a payroll every (other) week knows
>that sometimes the investment is not worth the minute gain
>in the product. To keep a fully staffed newsroom 24/7/365
>would require at least $150,000 dollars a year-an investment
>most smaller stations are unable to make,and most larger
>stations unwilling to make given that by our own admission,
>MAYBE something big enough happens 3-5 times a year to
>break format and cover it. That 150k would look better (to
>corporate bean-counters)  on the bottom line or it may be the
>difference between people getting paid and not getting paid at
>a smaller operation. Like or not, folks-it's progress. Combine
>this with the idea that most people don't care -where- the
>news comes from...if it's not available where they're
>listening/viewing/reading-they'll surf until they do. Don't get
>me wrong,I love radio,and I times I too am dismayed at where
>it's heading. But I don't think anyone can stop it at this point.
>I hope in 10 years I can look back and say I was wrong.

I must claim utter ignorance to going radio salaries, but 150K
sounds like chump change to staff a station - the ONLY news
station in the 5th market in the nation - like WBZ. I mean,
honestly. Cut one of the bean-counters and staff the station
for a year, if that's the case.

Also, why must it be all or nothing? The use of programmed
talent is better than nothing, and I applaud (at golf crowd
level) that Lovel Diet at least acknowleged an emergency
situation with calls, etc. But the PD had to call in to make that
happen. The station has no plan in place. How rinky-dink IS the
radio business, here, anyway? I mean, c'mon. This situation is
truly embarrassing, and ultimately pitiful.

- - Henry Dane