Re: WNFT (was Re Norhteast Radio Watch)

Is it just me or is Boston an underserved radio market format-wise? No all-news
(at my rough-from-memory count, it's the only Top-15 market without one other
than Dallas), and only a daytimer targeting urban, until this possibly-temporary
format at 1150, despite a large black community.

OTOH, despite being an area with many well-educated news junkies, all-news *has*
failed twice in Boston.

Paul Hopfgarten wrote:

> >Hmmm.  Maybe there's still hope for WILD getting WNFT.
>
> As far as WNFT is concerned, whomever buys the station may seriously wish to
> consider keeping the "Touch" format, or even better, having an all-local
> version of the same music.
>
> 2 Antidotes regarding WNFT:
>
> A woman (Black, 42 years old) doesn't even listen to WILD any more. She
> listens to 1150AM everytime she has the radio on at home or work.
>
> Last week my car broke down and I had to get a rental, which I picked up in
> the South End (where I work, as that's where my car died). The raid was SET
> TO 1150AM when I stepped in the car.
>
> WILD went ALL OVER their "prime" listening area (Dudley Sta, Downtown Xing,
> Central Sq) doing surveys! Why? IMHO, WNFT is making an impact in the Urban
> community, and WILD is the direct victim, both because of no nighttime
> broadcast, and because of their younger "skew" of music (yeh, I mean Rap).
>
> -Paul Hopfgarten
> Derry NH

- --
Douglas J. Broda