Re: Boston's Newsradio Void

>Here in Lowell we had many streets under water,closed to traffic,even a
>main road between Lowell and Lawrence closed by a mudslide!!!WLLH was
>sticking with their time brokered Brazillian show in the 4PM hour,WCAP was
>in their satellite talk mode.No local coverage here either!!!

Are there any advertisers reading this?!  The problem is, in fact, that
small market, starving broadcasters think that ROS or the station will
simply sell itself because it exists.  Stations need to sell that _thing_
that it, and only it, can do for advertisers' customers (versus thinking of
them as "their listeners.") More than just sell soap or punch out their
phone number (that no one will remember) but do for the clients' customers
what clients, themselves, are not in business to do.  If I owned a Mom & Pop
business advertising on a local station and an account rep. approached me
with the idea of a blanket spot run for emergencies, I'd jump at the idea.
Maximum listener potential (even teens tune to AM in a crisis).  As a
station, that then gives you bragging rights (and airchecks) to sell more
time for morning drive and the noon news.

Or am I just all wet today?

Bill O'Neill, in a very wet basement in Lowell, MA, USA