Re: WCBS-FM

>Some people (including myself) diss WODS because of their audio chain.
>Their compression make the station unlistenable after just a few songs.

A gnat could crawl (or even tip-toe) across the open mike and deliver 100%!
I recall that WJUL had a spare QEI mod. monitor in the rack that we could
dial around to other signals just to see what they were delivering for audio
and assess their processing (as unscientific as that was given the signal
strength , etc.)  The mix that I could never quite figure out was WGBH-FM,
coupling wide dynamic range with high peaks and solid mic audio.  It seemed
that a lot of non-comms trying to minimize processing would drive
around -7dB in at slow release, but lose peak potential/dynamic range at the
same time, or even end up with holes.  (Pre-digital audio, etc.)

So, how do you correct for poor mic control while not messing up the music?
Mic processing?

Bill O'Neill