Re: Leykis.

- ---ASchinella@aol.com wrote:

> Howie & Vickie Jones were hired to replace Gene Burns first, then
Leykis came
> into play.
If I remember right, it was Victoria Jones 9 to noon
and Howie 11 am to 2 pm, so they "shared" an hour
together. Maybe WRKO thought they had a "liberal vs.
conservative" formula show on their hands.

 >I know that Leykis used to do stuff on AOL, with a posting board
> and chat rooms with his name to accompany his show, but he was
getting flashed
> so often about his wife beating that he gave up AOL for the more
control
> atmosphere of IDT. He still denies that the whole thing happened,
typical of a
> domestic abuser, but anyone can go to the Boston Globe on micro-film
and get
> the article and see that Leykis pled guilty to the lesser, misd
charge.

Remember Wil Cordero of the Red Sox and his smug smile
during the ESPN interview? Deny, deny, deny.

 >I know
> that both VB and Kevin Straley were at the Christmas party and
sometimes
> Howie, when he is talking of "Tubby Tom" as the Inside Track chicks
nicknamed
> him, will drag them on the air, much to their displeasure, to relive
the
> event. When Leykis was on the air here against Limboob he did a
great show, so
> much better than the nonsense he is doing now.

Haven't heard enough to Tom's show (now) to judge. I
heard part of it once on WCAP, and once C-SPAN did
one of their "set up the camera in a radio studio"
deals with him, from his flagship station in L.A.

 He did numerous shows on
> fighting NAFTA, as did Jerry Williams, computers, economics,
empowerment
> issues; he would cover important topics and hammer them into the
ground.

If anyone's heard Tai's show, weeknights on WRKO
after "Two Chicks", you'll hear him do important
stuff, but also he'll get into fun "games" like last
night's "Name That Freakin' Tune". So maybe Tai is a
bit closer to the old Leykis show on 'RKO...

More on Tom Leykis: once on WRKO he "blew up" Barney
the Dinosaur. Some kids were listening and got upset,
but Tom kept saying, "he's a fictional character,
fuh goshsakes!". I remember something else Tom did:
he said "some people only half-listen to the radio.
If I said something like 'Gene Burns would turn over
in his grave if he weren't still living', someone would
call in and say, 'Gene Burns is dead?'"
To prove his point, Tom said, "if you're the first
caller right now at 266-6868, I'll give you absolutely
nothing". Sure enough, someone called and asked
what they'd won, and Tom said, "well,were you listening? I said I'd
give away absolutely nothing..."
Sort of trivial, but I remember it. Despite what went
on in his personal life , you can't say he wasn't entertaining.