Re: WRKO Follies: Williams, Carr, Leykis.

- ---ASchinella@aol.com wrote:

> That sounds about right. I heard that too: Jerry Williams, after
going after
> corruption for years, called Treasurer-elect Joe Malone and asked
him not to
> lay off this lady friend of Jerry's who was a Crane-hack employed
there. Jerry
> received a lot of heat about it and refused to comment on it. It
eventually
> went away.

Right, that was what happened-- a Crane hire who
would've been canned under Malone. And Malone
had made numerous appearances on Jerry's
show while he was running for office... Regarding
Tom Leykis (who I met at a shopping mall in Danvers,
and he seemed like a nice guy--this was before the
Xmas party story came out),  I wasn't aware that
he may have directly or indirectly led to the firing of
Howie. I just thought that they needed someone to
replace Gene Burns, and hired Leykis, while Howie
may have been fired for a different reason. Maybe
he _was_ fired for a different reason, but the fact
that Leykis was available for hire may have helped.
I do know that numerous times Howie has made fun
of Leykis and the Christmas incident, calling Tom
fat and saying that he "mistook his wife for a
Duraflame log" (as the story goes that Tom had
tried to shove his wife, Susan Drew Leykis, into
the fireplace.)
What a tangled web we weave: years later, Leykis
would call in to defend himself on the air at WFNX,
with a DJ who has since joined WRKO...Tai.
I will say that I liked Tom's show (and like Howie's
show, although maybe these incidents don't
make them seem like pillars of the community) ...

Oh, I also didn't know that Leykis had caught his
wife flirting with another WRKO employee. Tom's
story was something like "when we got home, I
wanted to get to sleep because I had to be on
air the next day at 10 am, and my wife wanted to
argue about something...", etc.

Wow, this is almost enough material to write a book
about. Truth is stranger than fiction!
> 	Then, Tom Leykis, an unemployed California talk host, subbed for
Jerry for a
> week and the PD at WRKO was so impressed, he canned Howie,
>  and put Leykis on in Gene Burns old slot.

> 	Unfortunately, Leykis went to the WRKO's open bar Christmas party
later on
> that year and got flat out blotto. Angered that he caught his wife
flirting
> with another WRKO employee, Leykis, later that evening, tried to
kill his wife
> by beating her head against the fireplace of the Leykis home on
Grove St. in
> Beacon Hill.
> 	Then, in classic Howie Carr revenge, after being tipped off by
Boston cops of