Re: Not-A-Dr. Laura

Since such academic titles are not normally used in
>popular society(*), I can only conclude that she styles herself that way
>in a deliberate attempt to deceive naive listeners.
>
>-GAWollman

There are many non-M.D.s who use their "doctor" title as a point of
distinction for their added efforts and sacrifices undertaken, academically.
In fact, in Australian culture, (where my sister lives) MDs are "mister" and
others degrees are often "doctor".  Lawyers are often J.D. (juris doctors)
and are "mister."

If the degree is in a helping profession and the person is helping, then
that's not too far a stretch for me.  I think enough people have listened
and learned to appreciate Dr. L's actions and presentation to accept it on
its face, not on her title.  If she started a garden show and sold herself
as a plant doctor well....

Bill O'Neill (no Dr. Johnny Fever)