Re: Not-A-Dr. Laura

>There are many non-M.D.s who use their "doctor" title as a point of
>distinction for their added efforts and sacrifices undertaken,
academically.
>In fact, in Australian culture, (where my sister lives) MDs are "mister"
and
>others degrees are often "doctor".  Lawyers are often J.D. (juris doctors)
>and are "mister."
>
>If the degree is in a helping profession and the person is helping, then
>that's not too far a stretch for me.>

I know of MDs who are better-suited not as surgeons, but as sheet-metal
fabricators.  I also know of many people who use their Ph.Ds for purposes of
pomposity. The bottom line is, in my opinion, that whose who like Dr.
Laura's advice think she's great, degree or not.  Those who disagree use her
degree (or lack thereof of what they think she ought to have to dispense
such information) to tear her down.

How about those who swear by Dear Abby?  Eppie Lederer (Abby) possesses no
college degrees, as far as I know, yet she often dispenses great advice.
And I haven't heard of anyone bashing her for not having a Ph.D, or
whatever. Certain people have God-given abilities and talents, without that
piece of Ph.D paper to certify it.

:) shel