Re: Not-A-Dr. Laura

Dan S. wrote--
> but counseling _is_ related to what she does on the radio.
>Now, what kind of educational institution grants degrees in counseling (but
>not in psychology) is another matter. It may be the sort of place that
>advertises on the inside of matchbook covers.

Then again, it may be Northeastern University, from which I have one of my
master's degrees-- in community counselling.  It was a very rigorous
program, with lots of on the job training and working with various types of
counsellors (career/occupational counsellors, school guidance counsellors,
mental health counsellors, etc).  A counsellor usually has to take a number
of courses in psychology, but the emphasis is not so much on analysing a
person's behaviour or finding out the reasons for their traumas-- the
emphasis is on helping the person to forward the action and come up with a
plan to resolve issues that are keeping the person from achieving.  I
counselled off and on for 15 years, mostly people with drug and alcohol
problems, but also battered women, prisoners, and even did some marriage
counselling.  It is a job where you can really feel that you are making a
difference, but you can  also really get burnt out on other people's
problems... I am not a fan of Dr Laura, but I do commend her for her
willingness to counsel others-- it's not always easy... sometimes, people
say they want advice, but what they really want is sympathy.  Btw, in case
you wonder what this has to do with radio, my counselling degree came in
VERY handy in my work as a radio consultant!  Have I got stories I could
tell you...