Re: WMTW-TV Moving tower

<<On Mon, 8 Jun 1998 13:29:32 EDT, Dib9@aol.com said:

> can not install the HDTV equipment at their current location.  Does anyone
> with more technical knowledge know why they would need to move?  I seem to
> remember reading somewhere that HDTV does not have as a great of a range as
> standard TV and they might need a location closer to Portland and
> Lewiston/Auburn to get good coverage in their key markets.  Is this the case?

The Digital TV table of allotments was designed to give every station
at least 90% of the coverage of their analog allotment.  Some stations
are apparently constructing minimal digital TV facilities just to meet
the requirements, with the expectation that they will move the digital
service to the (current) analog facility when switchover is made
permanent.

In channel 8's case, it may simply be that they don't have enough
space (or power?) to run digital TV from the Mount Washington
facility.

- -GAWollman

- --