Re: WBKA-AM and FM, Brockton, MA

At 11:26 PM 6/7/98 EDT, you wrote:

><<  the FCC itself cited WNBP's operation on 1470
> as a particularly unfortunate assignment, and used a possible move by WNBP
> to 820 as an example of the benefits radio listeners would reap >>
>So, why didn't WNBP get 820?    Also wasn;t there a CP for 820-Weymouth?
>---jibguy

WNBP didn't get 820 because they didn't apply for it. And yes, there was a
CP for 820 in Weymouth or someplace on the South Shore. One of the terms of
WNYC's grant for 820 was that WNYC had to pay that applicant's costs. WNYC
had applied for 830, but the FCC thought 820 would be better. Given that
WNYC's problems aligning its pattern were mainly to the northwest, I guess
the FCC made a wise move. I'm quite sure that WNYC had proposed to use the
WMCA site for 830 as well. WCCO would not have been happy. As it was, WNYC
had to cut back from the 5 kW-N specified in the CP to 1 kW-N to protect
CHAM. With 1 lkW, the night signal does not quite meet the requirements for
COL coverage, but I'm sure that given the difficulties they had and the
effort they made, the FCC granted a waiver.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205