Re: ground system

At 12:41 AM 6/8/98 -0400, you wrote:
>On Mon, 8 Jun 1998 Jibguy@aol.com wrote:
>
>>  And doesn't WJIB's ground system run under the building?
>>   >>
>> Nope,  OVER the building. (what's left of it, that is.)
>> ---jibguy
>
>How is that possible?

I don't understand what you don't understand. In most stations, the TX
building is part of the ground system. It's pretty easy to accomplish if
you're building the building at the same time as you're building the
station. If the building has a steel framework, you bond the framework to
the ground system. You interrupt the radials where they reach the foundation
and resume them on the other side. It's not uncommon to put conductive
material (screening, usually), inside the building walls, and to bond this
material to the ground system.

If the building is already there, as I suspect was the case when WTAO was
built, you can run the radials over the top of the building, leaving room
for doors (so people can enter and leave), if not also for windows.

Allegedly, the steel framework of the large three-story office building that
sits partially on the WNRB ground system is bonded to the ground system.
However, I'm not so sure that this is fact, because I saw the radials being
cut between the west tower and the building site before the building went
up. This happened when the parking lot lighting was installed. So the
framework may be bonded to the ends of radials that had been cut loose from
the ground system.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205