ZLX-BOS-EGQ

In a message dated 98-06-03 15:43:11 EDT, NORIAC@mln.lib.ma.us writes:

<< (1) CBS decides to keep WNFT-1150, sells off 850 (but not the WEEI calls
  or format), and flips both 1150 and 100.7 FM to all-sports as WEEI-AM/FM.

 (2) With 100.7 flipped FROM classic AOR, WBOS is flipped TO classic AOR,m
  perhaps with Morris as a key personality. >>

Joe, why do you keep speculating that WZLX will dump classic rock to run
sports?  WZLX still bills very respectably, and even though they are in a rut
right now, they have a good franchise going there.  Eventually someone will
purchase WEGQ and when that happens, chances are good that their format will
go away, and their listeners will go back to 100.7.  Besides, I don't think
the Department of Justice would go for it.  In that instance, it would put CBS
well over 50% of the market revenue, and they would probably have to sell off
another station to stay in complience.

I seriously doubt we'll see WBOS move toward a classic AOR stance.  The format
simply doesn't work in major markets anymore.  I think they'll stay adult
rock/AAA/whatever, at least until WEGQ gets sold and we find out what format
they go with.

Speaking of the FM's that have to be sold off by CBS (WAAF & WEGQ), here's an
interesting thought.  We've speculated about the "major" broadcast companies
such as Jacor, Clear Channel, Chancellor etc.  But how about a couple of other
large radio conglomerates with lots of working capital to spend like--Salem,
or even Heftel, the Spanish language broadcasting company buying major market
FM's left and right.  Boston's hispanic population is growing, and with those
two signals in Worcester and Lawrence--both areas with large Hispanic
populations, it's not out of the question.  Maybe Salem will buy one and
Heftel will buy the other.  I'm sure Salem would like an FM to pair with 590.
It's not out of the realm of possibility.

Mike Thomas, WXLO & Premiere Radio Networks