Re: Frank Sinatra dead at 82

On Wed, 20 May 1998 00:03:35 SteveOrdinetz <steveord@xtdl.com> writes:

> I don't believe for one minute that the quality of music (or any other
pop
>culture) has changed significantly over the years.  A very high
percentage of
>any mass-produced entertainment is crap and is quickly forgotten.  One
>notices the current crap because it's impossible to miss...but...in a
couple
>of years most of it will be forgotten...the stuff that is capable of
>standing the test of time will.  I find it hard to believe that a larger

>percentage of pre-rock era pop music was great or memorable...but it's
had 40+
>years to let the true classics shine through. The clinkers have
thankfully
>fallen off the end of the earth never to be seen again.

An excellent point, Steve!  I'd go a step farther... the different types
of music have the same percentage of clinkers.  For example, when I was
doing country music radio, I noted that there were some songs that you
could sense would be relevant years later, and some that were fly by
nights:  just like CHR!  Sinatra, it seems had a better sense
(particularly in the 40's and 50's) to pick a lot of winners.  He also,
though, did novelty songs ("High Hopes", "That's Life", etc.).  I think
the trick to becoming an icon is to pick the ones that will stay relevant
for all time, like some of the tunes Sinatra did composed by Cole Porter
and George Gershwin.

Any guesses on another musical icon who will earn the same amount of
hoppla when he passes on?  My guess would be ...

                                                                  Elton
John.

Rick Kelly

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]