Re: Poor Reporting

<< Whether the pagers themselves receive satellite signals directly is
 largely irrelevant.  What matters is how the paging data itself is
 transmitted to the individual transmitters.  In the case of my
 (931.8625 MHz) pager, the transmitters (at least in Boston) are fed
 via satellite -- so my pager doesn't work.

 -GAWollman >>

I stand corrected.  Apparently many pager systems use satellites to send the
signal to their towers, but my main point stands and is supported by this
discussion.  If the media (other than Scott) reported this story in detail,
there would not be this confusion.  I also think the 80% number that has been
used is overstated.  I have talked with people that have pagers with two
different systems in Maine and they did not lose service because the system
did not use satellites to deliver the signal to the towers within their local
system.  I would not want to be working at a pager company today.

Dan Billings
Bowdoinham, Maine