Re: programming Sinatra on Oldies 103?

- -------- REPLY, Original message follows --------

> Date: Monday, 18-May-98 01:28 PM
>
> From: Douglas Broda            \ Internet:    (dougbroda@mindspring.
com)
> To:   Halper, Donna            \ Internet:    (dlh@donnahalper.com)
> cc:   Boston Radio Mail List   \ Internet:
> (boston-radio-interest@khavrinen.)
> cc:   Kirk, Roger              \ Internet:    (rkirk@videoserver.com)
>
> Subject: Re: programming Sinatra on Oldies 103?
>
> The mix on 60s-based oldies stations has always galled me. Top-40
radio in the
> 60s *did* include a substantial smattering of non-rock songs: Louis
Armstrong
> hit #1, as did Sinatra with both those songs, as did others. At the
time, the
> kids listened to them on WABC in NY, for example.

And let's not forget "Hello Dolly"...song of the year in 1964(?).

There's a peice about it in Rick Sklar's book "Rockin' America", where
Scott Muni complained about playing that (damn!) record every 2 hours!

Supposedly that sealed Scott Muni's fate at WABC.

(Personally, I couldn't STAND hearing that song over and over every 2
hours!)

But these songs WERE part of Top 40 radio......

But then again it was a kinder, gentler time....