RE: programming Sinatra on Oldies 103?

Doug Broda wrote:
The mix on 60s-based oldies stations has always galled me. Top-40 radio
in the
60s *did* include a substantial smattering of non-rock songs: Louis
Armstrong
hit #1, as did Sinatra with both those songs, as did others. At the time,
the
kids listened to them on WABC in NY, for example. Why shouldn't they be
in the
mix if the target is the same audience, only 30 years older?

Amen, brother, amen.

Stir in some:
Nat King Cole "Lazy, Hazy, Crazy Days Of Summer"
Al Martino "I Love You More & More Every Day"
Ray Charles "Born To Lose"
Brook Benton "It's Just A Matter Of Time"
Wayne Newton "Red Roses For A Blue Lady"

A dash of:
Ned Miller "From A Jack To A King"
Frank Ifield "I Remember You"
Timi Yuro "Hurt"
Dean Martin "Everybody Loves Somebody"

And for spice:
Johnny Horton "Battle Of New Orleans"
Statler Bros. "Flowers On The Wall"

And the list goes on and on and on.....

Roger Kirk
rkirk@videoserver.com

p.s. Lest I be pegged as an O. F., I like Country -
Old and Hot New, 50's, 60's pop, 60's rock, garage,
some 70's rock, 80's, 90's, Dance (read Disco),
Big Band, Pop Folk, Classical, Smooth Jazz,
Swing, etc.  In a word: "VARIETY."

(I'll pass on Metal & Grunge)