Re: Stations where the sun never sets (Was Re: WMVU AM 900 Nashua NHon late)

I am amazed that more stations do not use computers to change power and
patterns.  WCLZ (AM 900) has used a PC to do the honors for the last couple of
years and it works flawlessly.  The computer is programmed for the whole year
so times do not have to be changed monthly and the system basically runs
itself.  The Cheif Operator checks the printed logs daily to make sure the
system is working and the computer clock is checked regurlarly to make sure it
is correct, but otherwise it is an effort free operation.  I also understand
that the whole system was relatively inexpensive to set up.

At the station that I work at, pattern changes are taken seriously and nearly
always done at the right time, but the jock on WMGX is required to manually
change the patterns for WGAN and WZAN.  (When mistakes are made, it is for a
matter of minutes, not hours like in the other examples given.)  I would think
with the millions of dollars that Saga has invested in their excellent
facilities for their Portland stations, they would automate the pattern
changes for WGAN and WZAN.  With a good computer system, fewer mistakes would
be made.

Dan Billings
Bowdoinham, Maine