Stations where the sun never sets (Was Re: WMVU AM 900 Nashua NHon late)

>Ron Gitschier wrote:
>>Your suspicions seem to be correct at my location here in Jacksonville, FL
>as WRHC still is a regular fixture here during hours of darkness on 1560.
>WVOJ 970 seems to to do the same thing here in Jax as I can't tell any
>difference between their 1kw day signal intensity and 110(ish) watt night
>signal at all about 17 miles east of the tx site.  Mostly it seems that
>stations are using thier day service to help pay the bills whenever the
>opportunity arises.
<snip>
>There are other stations
>but I don't have the heart to rat on them all...  it's just a bit amazing to
>me as to how the state of enforcement has changed 180 degrees. Is this a
>comon practice in New England?

        So many stations flouting the rules, and so little time <g>. IMO,
the ones trashing the clear channels ought to be the ones to consider
"ratting" on. But I don't agree with that word. Blowing the whistle on
wrongdoers is more like it. If these clowns want a station with more power
at night, buy one.

        On the other side of the coin, the radio business has become so
slipshod that in Hartford I hear, very occasionally, WTIC (AM) switching to
its night pattern early by as much as an hour or two, or late sometimes.
And this IS one of the clear-channel stations. Apparently, whoever is in
charge of putting on the log when to change or whatever procedure they
follow can't always cope with the complications of a new month or daylight
saving time or whatever. WTIC's case is a little complicated because its
nighttime switch to DA is at Dallas sunset, not Hartford. So it gets about
60-120 minutes extra on the day pattern, depending on what month it is.
(For example, in May, I believe WTIC's switch time probably is 9:15 p.m.
EDT.) The first week of daylight time last month, I heard them switching at
what must have been about two hours early. I think they were switching at
the time left over from standard time in March.