Re: "Pop" Folk Music Memories

At 01:29 PM 5/4/98 -0400, you wrote:

>I'm trying to find a Top 40 radio song from
>the early to mid 60's (the "pop" folk music era)
>that had the following lyrics:
>
>Down On The Levee, In Old Alabamy...
>With Ephraim & Sammy...
>Waitin' For The Rober E. Lee....
>It's So Neat To Beat Your Feet On The Mississippi Mud....
>
>I pray that among all the posters & lurkers that recall
>the Adventure Car Hop so well, there might be someone who
>could tell me who sang that song.  It may have been 2
>different songs, I'm not 100% sure.

The two separate songs are from the Ragtime Era:
Waitin' for the Robert E. Lee (Gilbert & Muir, 1912)
Mississippi Mud (Cavanaugh & Barris, 1927)

Mitch Miller's Singalong Records and TV Show, "Sing along with Mitch"(1961-1966)
(anyone remember?)
must have sung those songs in the 60's.
BTW, Mitch will be a guest conductor at the Boston Pops this year! Doc
Severinsen and John Williams will also guest conduct this year.

If you have a sound card you can hear the ragtime piano versions of those
two tunes (among others) in .mid using the Microsoft Media Player (among others)
at:
http://www.rtpress.com/titles.htm

A good Mitch Miller site:
http://207.50.137.13/~bcampo/CF97/mitchm.html