Re: Gory TV coverage

At 07:00 PM 5/1/98 EDT, you wrote:
>I find it interesting that people get so upset about live, real violence on
>TV, but prime time TV is full of simulated, fake violence every night.
>
>I think that if it the violence is part of a real news story, such as the
>Penn. Treasurer's suicide that was mentioned, live violence is acceptable.

I don't  blame "the media" for something like this.  If someone wants to
kill themselves on their own press conference, what can you do?

What I do think is overdone is the Greek chorus of complaints about media
coverage when something like this happens and the naive belief that this
was always the *first* time.  How horrible.  I wonder if they've formed
crisis teams for the kids yet.

Whatever "lesson" there is in this, it's not in broadcasting that it's
found, but outside.

That said, I do think if WHDH was there (like, if it happened in Miami),
they would have the most tasteless, content-free, meaning-free coverage.

Dave