Re: Gory TV coverage

I find it interesting that people get so upset about live, real violence on
TV, but prime time TV is full of simulated, fake violence every night.

I think that if it the violence is part of a real news story, such as the
Penn. Treasurer's suicide that was mentioned, live violence is acceptable.
The violence is something that simply came about during the coverage of a real
news story.  I think it is similiar to the live coverage of the Waco raid or
the tanks running over protestors in China.  Do you rember the fire at Waco?
We couldn't see the children burning but we knew it was happening.  In the
case of the story in LA, I do not think that every high speed chase is a
legitimate news story.  Chases happen somewhere everyday and do not need to be
broadcast live nationwide like was done by MSNBC, unless, of course, OJ
Simpson is in the Bronco.

Dan Billings
Bowdoinham, Maine