Re: Adventure Car Hop/Ginsburger

At 08:18 AM 4/30/98 -0500, ROBERT W PAINE wrote:

> I first heard of Arnie Ginsburg around 1970 from the Cruisin' series
>adverts on WMEX. I bought the 1961 album and was hooked. Just sorry I
>didn't get to hear him live on WIMMEX, although I did hear his retro
>weekends on 'BZ.

Just my opinion here, but I think Arnie's ace in the hole is that he got in
on the ground floor of rock & roll radio in Boston, and got out at the
right time.  I never heard him until '64/'65, and aside from the sound
effects and an occasional play on words (K-night Train show), he seemed to
be just another jock.  Granted, by the time I heard him, rock radio was
everywhere & Arnie's schtik was getting a bit stale..I'm sure he was the
cutting edge in the 50s.  When Drake radio came along, it was the end of
Arnie's era...non-compete clauses notwithstanding, I don't think he would
have lasted long on WRKO...heard him once and being a Drake jock wasn't his
thing....Good Guys radio was history, and he deserves credit for exiting
gracefully. I do have to also give him credit for being willing/able to
poke fun of the fact that he had a lousy voice..too many jocks (no names,
please) seemed to be very much in love with the sound of their voices.  I
never cared for his shows on WBZ or WROR...hearing him play the Bee Gees or
Barry Manilow was like hearing Wolfman Jack play Led Zeppelin, and his
oldies shows sounded too contrived to me...but then, I'm not a fan of "jock
reunion weekends" where some oldies station becomes a parody of old-time
top 40 and brings back a bunch of old timers out mothballs.

Please don't flame me on the last statement...if you like jock reunion
weekends, by all means enjoy them...they're just not my cup of tea.