Re: WQEW

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Dan Strassberg wrote:

> Pete: I grew up in New York City, about 380 air miles from Buffalo. What was
> then WKBW (now WWKB) was a nightly catch, and my guess is that 80% of the
> time the signal exceeded 25 mV/m. One _dynamite_ skywave signal, and one for
> which the station is legendary! WKBW/WWKB is on 1520, just 2.56% lower in
> frequency than WQEW. Yet reception of WWKB in New York (at least at my QTH
> in the northwest Bronx) was (and I believe continues to be) nearly fade
> free--certainly as fade-free as WHAM or WBBR are here in Boston. So,
> although I know that short wave is prone to selective fades and WQEW is high
> in the AM band, I don't really buy the high frequency as the whole reason
> for WQEW's fading.

Seems to me I've heard fading on skywave signals everywhere in the AM
broadcast band.  I remember one time in 1970, I went to a science fiction
convention in Toronto.  Back home the following week, I heard a feature
about the convention after the CBC National News on CBA, Moncton, NB 1070.
Since that station is in the Atlantic time zone, the 10:00 news is on at
9:00 our time.  The station faded, just as Isaac Asimov was being
interviewed.  So an hour later, I listened to the same feature on CBL,
740.  And that station's signal faded at almost the same part of the
interview.

While in my car this evening, I was surprised to get a strong signal from
WQEW around 6:55 PM, when the sun hadn't set yet.  For some reason, WNTN
1550 was not on the air.  A few minutes later, WQEW had faded and become
rather faint.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                      lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                       http://world.std.com/~lawyer/