Re: Easy listening

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Dan Strassberg wrote:

> I'd be surprised if WJDA and its sister station, WESX, were doing much
> more than breaking even. Were this not so, I don't think the stations
> would have joined WADN's financial-talk simulcast (albeit only from 9:00
> to 11:00 AM M-F).

Exactly what is meant by breaking even depends on subtleties of
accounting.  For example, a couple of years ago, Bob Bittler said, in a
Globe article, that WJIB had only made a profit of $3 (or something like
that) for the previous year.  Now, I've always wondered whether Bob
receives a salary as an employee of Bob Bittner Broadcasting, Inc.  If so,
that "profit," which might be considered barely breaking even, masked the
fact that Bob may have been making a reasonable living from the station.
I wonder whether the same may also be said of other stations, such as WJDA
and WESX.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                      lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                       http://world.std.com/~lawyer/