Re: WCAP/WTRY (was: WSRO/let's be civil.../community radio...)

That is weird. It has seemed weakest to the East for as long as I can recall, and I
have lived in the Albany area for 21 years.

The stations on 980 that may need to be protected are the ones you mention: CBV
Quebec City (which is switching over to FM, and the license for 980 is still up in
the air for the time after transition, as I understand), WCAP, WSUB Groton (as you
say, lightbulb power at night), WWRC/WTEM Washington (I just got back from a NASCAR
race in Virginia last week, and the formats have switched, though I don't know if
the calls have). Also co-channel are CFPL London Ontario (DA-2, 10kw days, 5kw
nights) and CKRU Petersborough Ontario (DA-2, 10kw days, 7.5kw nights).

Adjacent-channel nights on 990, omitting lightbulbs,  are WCDZ Rochester NY (DA-2,
5kw days, 2.5kw nights); WZZD Philadelphia (DA-2, 50kw days, 10kw nights), CHTX/CKGM
(not sure which are the current calls, though I think it's the former) Montreal
(DA-2, 50kw days and nights).

Adjacent-channel nights on 970, omitting lightbulbs, are WZAN Portland ME (DA-N,
5kw); WWDJ Hackensack NJ (DA-2, 5kw); WNED Buffalo (DA-1, 5kw); CBZ Fredericton, New
Brunswick (DA-N, 10kw); CKCH Hull, Quebec (DA-2, 10kw days, 5kw nights).

That would all suggest -- if I understand all this technostuff, which I don't --
that the greatest needs for protection would be north and northeast (to Montreal and
Quebec), with geography and the other stations' patterns playing into the protection
needed for the co-channel and adjacent-channel stations that exist in all other
directions.

Is it possible that WTRY has been using a non-permitted pattern this long, or that
there are other factors at work? BTW, WTRY is typically audibly weaker nights 15
miles east of the towers -- in West Sand Lake, Rensselaer County, which is on this
side of the Berkshires -- than it is 15 miles west of the towers, on the Thruway
west of Schenectady.

BTW, we do occassionally get bleed at nights over WTRY in the Capital District, and
the bleed is inevitably Canadian -- CBV.

 --
Douglas J. Broda
Broda and Burnett