Re: WSRO/let's be civil.../community radio...

On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, ASchinella wrote:

> As I have said in other posts, I think it is important to return to local
> radio, which is why I brought up to the list the idea of a
> community/collectively owned AM station -- of which I was invited to discuss
> the topic for two shows on "LTAR" with Jibguy and of which some of you listers
> have ridiculed me for in private email... sorry, I will always be an idealist
> --  with like-minded people interested in doing quality radio, whatever the
> format.

Actually, I like your idea.  But given the cost of radio stations these
days and the number of people who would have to contribute to buy and run
the station, I think Bob is right, that you'd have a tough time making it
work.  What you'd need to do is come up with some way of having that many
people contributing to buy the station, but still have some one person =in
charge= of running it.  Maybe it can be done by having a non-profit
association and electing officers.  But to really work, it would have to
have some very carefully drafted bylaws that allow the officers, once
elected, some real authority to make decisions.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                      lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                       http://world.std.com/~lawyer/