Re: Recent ratings thoughts....

>WFNX.  This station looks "dead in the water".  hitting an all time low
>of a 1.2 rating.
>
>Thoughts?  (Does anyone remember what Mindich paid for this thing?  I
>can't remember if he got a "bargain" or "got taken" for what he may have
>thought was a viable signal/station...)

The station was bought in the early 80's.  No matter how much was paid
for it back then, it would certainly be a "bargain" compared to what
even the cruddiest of signals get sold for nowadays.

But unless FNX becomes a financial drain on Mindich's entire media empire
- - and there's no evidence of that, even with relatively low ratings - I
can't see him going to actively try to sell the signal.  If someone were
to make him an offer he couldn't refuse?  Then it could be interesting...

I don't think FNX's biggest problem is the signal itself.  Even if FNX
had as good or almost as good a signal as BCN, they would still get
eaten alive by BCN/CBS's promotional machine.  As long as BCN sticks
with that format, FNX isn't going to gain any ground.

- -Shawn Mamros (who can't stand to listen to any of BCN's jocks, with
their huge egos, but I guess I'm in the minority...)
E-mail to: mamros@mit.edu