Re: Recent ratings thoughts....

Funny, if this is true about WRKO (highest ratings in the 25-54 dems in three
years) than that means that when WRKO had the old lineup (1994: With Jerry
Williams in the late morning and the irrelevant Chuck Adler at night, instead
of Dr. Loudmouth and the Twits), then one has to wonder...Why did they change
it? It took them quite awhile with this lame "hot talk" format to get back
what they once had with "serious discussion talk"...

WBZ always reigns in the 12+ ratings and the have the highest billing in town
($950 a minute in the morning). If ad revs are the object, it would seem that
12+ is the way to go. I have never understood this obsession with WRKO (or
talk for that matter) to try and compete with what is typically assumed to be
a "Rock" format audience (18-34). The market of radio is so fragmented as it
is that anyone can go anywhere for what they want to hear (unless you are
looking for a serious political conversation, like WRKO used to be, because
that is goneand nowhere on the dial). I am not bringing this up to be yelled
at by the list for my unknowledgable musing about ratings, but I as a
listener, it boggles the mind.

As for WFNX, correct me if I am wrong but WFNX's rating have never been above
2. Even at their highest, I think they were a 1.7 and they were very excited
to get that (I think the Herald did a piece on this, it was years before WBCN
format change). As for Mindich, I don't think he really cares what WFNX does.
Their DJs get paid chump change and their full paid ads are minimal (they do a
lot of cross-promotional ads with a lot of the clubs) unless you listen on the
weekends when Budweiser and McDonalds flood their airwaves.

Both WRKO and WFNX were the only stations I used to listen to when I moved to
Boston over eleven years ago but now, I just don't relate to either of them.
WRKO, I have already more than commented on in past posts and WFNX, which, not
to sound like my parents, has gone to hell in a handbasket. What is that noise
they are playing! All these new bands suck compared to the old bands which
created the alternative format. Everytime I hear that band Prodigy, I click
the station.... They really disturbs me! As for some of the others, what
happened to melody, harmony and interesting lyrical form? Hmm.